Woman nearly dies after popping pimple in the 'Triangle of Death'

Written by Henrik Rothen

Oct.06 - 2023 2:05 PM CET

Photo: TikTok
Photo: TikTok
Woman nearly dies after popping pimple in the 'Triangle of Death'.

Trending Now

A young mother from Louisiana is warning people about the dangers of popping pimples, especially those located in the so-called 'triangle of death' on the face.

Hope shared her harrowing experience on social media, revealing how this common practice led to a life-threatening bacterial infection known as staphylococcus.

A painful wake-up call

Hope woke up the day after popping a pimple above her lip with half of her face swollen and in excruciating pain.

"I went to the doctor, and it was staph," she said.

The TikToker described the ordeal as "worse than childbirth," and now bears a small scar as a reminder. She cautioned others against popping pimples, vowing never to do it again on her face.

Staph bacteria naturally reside on the skin or in the nose and can cause severe, potentially fatal infections if they enter the bloodstream, joints, bones, lungs, or heart. Treatment for staph infections usually involves antibiotics. To minimize the risk, it's essential to practice good hygiene, including frequent handwashing.

Watch the video of Hope via the link below

The 'Triangle of Death' explained

Popping pimples in the 'triangle of death,' which extends from the bridge of the nose to the corners of the mouth, is particularly risky. This area contains numerous blood vessels that lead directly to the brain.

Bacteria from this region can easily travel to the brain, causing severe symptoms, including strokes, explains Dr. Mamina Turegano. "Serious infections are rare, but think twice before popping a pimple in this area," she concludes.

To avoid staph infections, it's crucial to:

  • Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, especially before and after preparing food.

  • Clean and cover wounds with sterile, dry dressings to prevent bacterial spread.

  • Regularly change tampons during menstruation, as toxic shock syndrome is caused by staph bacteria.

  • Avoid sharing personal items like towels, bedsheets, razors, clothing, and sports equipment.