Mother in coma after using popular oven-cleaning trick

Written by Henrik Rothen

Sep.14 - 2023 11:04 AM CET

Mother in coma after using popular oven-cleaning trick.

Trending Now

A 46-year-old Danish woman ended up in a coma after attempting to clean her oven using a method that gained popularity on social media back in 2014.

The woman, from the Danish city Viborg, followed a recipe that involved using ammonia. Her son, David Moeller, warns others against using this cleaning method, stating that his mother began to feel unwell and eventually suffered a cardiac arrest.

She ended up in a coma and on a ventilator at a Danish hospital.

The cleaning method gained traction after a Norwegian housewife, Elisabeth Jensen, posted before-and-after pictures of her oven cleaned using ammonia.

The method quickly spread across Scandinavia, leading many to try it out, including the woman from Viborg.

While it's not confirmed that the ammonia was the cause of the woman's severe condition, medical staff at Viborg Emergency Room have reported seeing similar cases involving close contact with ammonia.

David Moeller hopes that by sharing his mother's story, others will avoid using this cleaning method.

A Close Call

David Moller states that although it was a close call, his mother survived the cardiac arrest. However, the incident serves as a cautionary tale about the potential dangers of viral cleaning hacks circulating on social media.

If you want an easy and safe trick to clean your oven, then watch the video below:

Most Read