Tiny Chihuahua's Heroin Mishap Lands Owners 15-Day Sentence

Written by Kathrine Frich

Jun.13 - 2024 11:19 AM CET

Photo: Shutterstock
Photo: Shutterstock
They Were Also Fined.

Trending Now

Shane Harris and Serrena Young had stashed heroin and cocaine in their motel room in the state of South Carolina, USA.

As reported by tag24, some of the drugs were left openly accessible on a table.

Survives Heroin Overdose

Curious as dogs are, their pet investigated the substances and inadvertently consumed about a gram of heroin, with dire consequences.

The Chihuahua couldn't tolerate the amount and was at risk of overdosing.

Fortunately, the nearly seven-kilogram dog was discovered in time by its owner and a household assistant. Together, they took the helpless animal to a fire station.

There, emergency responders administered naloxone—a medication used to reverse opioid effects—and saved its life. The little guy was then given oxygen and transferred to an animal hospital.

15 Days of Jailtime

Meanwhile, the owners inadvertently attracted attention. The police intervened and, after ensuring the dog's recovery, searched the motel room.

Inside a handbag, they found a syringe containing a clear brown liquid, later identified as heroin.

Young admitted that the syringe belonged to her. Consequently, both individuals were arrested for drug possession and animal cruelty.

In addition to serving 15 days in jail, they were fined over $1,000 USD (approximately 925 Euros). While they await release, their pet can recuperate from the ordeal.