The bad blood between the Duke of Sussex and the president has a long history.
Packing up a life and crossing the ocean is never a simple choice.
When a high-profile family decides to pull up stakes and switch continents, the rumor mill immediately shifts into overdrive.
Everyone wants to know exactly what pushed them out the door.
A sudden departure
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are leaving California. After six years of building a life in America, the couple is packing their bags for a return to Britain.
According to Daily Express, their two children are already enrolled in a UK school. The family expects to stay for a long stretch, though they will keep their estate in Montecito and a home in Portugal.
King Charles learned about the move on Sunday. A source told the Express that the monarch is happy to see his grandchildren, but the couple will remain private citizens with no royal duties.
Political fires burn
The relocation sparked an immediate political uproar. Supporters of Donald Trump quickly pointed to the couple’s frosty relationship with the US president as the real reason for the move.
Katie Miller, wife of a White House official, took to X with a clear theory. “They are moving back to Britain because they don’t like President Trump,” she wrote.
Miller shared an article from People Magazine noting the couple’s political frustrations, and she added her own sharp critique. She claimed the duchess “always just wanted to be a celebrity” and suggested the family was “broke”.
Past clashes resurface
The bad blood between the Duke of Sussex and the president has a long history. They previously clashed over America’s commitment to its NATO allies.
When the president questioned NATO support, Harry pushed back hard. He said that “every allied nation was obliged to stand with the United States … in pursuit of our shared security.”
The military veteran made his feelings crystal clear. “Allies answered that call,” he said. “I served there. I made lifelong friends there. And I lost friends there.”
The road ahead
Conservative broadcaster Megyn Kelly also jumped into the fray. The Daily Mail reported her response to the news with a cheerful dismissal. “We’ve done our time here in America my dear friend!” she posted.
There might be a simpler reason for the homecoming. People Magazine noted that Harry felt encouraged by recent warm receptions from the British public.
For now, the family’s new British address remains a secret. They will return within weeks, closing one dramatic chapter and opening another.
Sources: Express, People Magazine, Daily Mail