South Korea stands firm after Trump cites Kim Jong-un in military shake-up.
South Korea has moved ahead with a major military exercise alongside the United States despite Donald Trump announcing plans to substantially scale back the operation only hours before it began.
According to O2.pl, Seoul’s Defence Ministry confirmed Monday that the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise had started according to schedule, leaving immediate questions over how and when Trump’s intervention will affect the drills.
Approximately 18,000 South Korean and US military personnel are taking part in training scheduled to continue until August 27.
Seoul says exercises are proceeding normally
South Korean authorities said the exercises were taking place as planned following Trump’s announcement on Truth Social.
Ulchi Freedom Shield represents a major component of military cooperation between Washington and Seoul. Training this year has been designed partly around North Korea’s changing capabilities, with scenarios covering drone threats, GPS jamming and cyberattacks.
Trump announced shortly before the exercises began that he wanted the Pentagon to significantly reduce American participation.
Cost was among the reasons cited by the president, who has repeatedly questioned the expense associated with joint military exercises involving South Korea.
Trump also pointed to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un while explaining his position.
Trump puts relationship with Kim in focus
Relations between Washington and Pyongyang have long influenced debate surrounding US-South Korean military exercises.
North Korea routinely condemns the drills, arguing that they amount to preparations for military action against the country. Washington and Seoul have instead maintained that their exercises serve defensive and readiness purposes.
Trump has previously sought to reduce such exercises and has repeatedly emphasized his personal relationship with Kim.
His latest intervention consequently introduces fresh uncertainty over the scale of American involvement during the remaining days of Ulchi Freedom Shield.
Seoul’s initial response, however, indicates that no immediate disruption followed the announcement from Washington.
North Korea threatens stronger nuclear deterrence
Pyongyang had already condemned this year’s exercises before troops began training.
North Korean authorities characterized the operation as a provocation and said the country would strengthen its nuclear deterrence in response to military cooperation between Washington and Seoul.
Such criticism comes as the allies adapt their training to newer forms of warfare rather than concentrating exclusively on conventional military scenarios.
Drone operations, electronic disruption and cyberattacks feature among the threats being incorporated into this year’s exercises as military planners respond to developments in North Korea’s capabilities.
South Korea’s Defence Ministry has so far maintained that Ulchi Freedom Shield is proceeding according to the original schedule, despite Trump’s demand for a substantial reduction.