Homepage News South Korea tells Trump “No thanks” – hours later he...

South Korea tells Trump “No thanks” – hours later he orders major military cutback

Donald Trump
Joshua Sukoff / Shutterstock

Trump’s relationship with Kim Jong Un takes spotlight after surprise Pentagon order.

Donald Trump has intervened just hours before a major US-South Korean military exercise, ordering the Pentagon to substantially scale back the operation while openly questioning Washington’s participation.

The president linked his decision to both the cost of the drills and South Korea’s refusal to join US actions against Iran. Trump also pointed to his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, whose government has repeatedly condemned joint exercises between Washington and Seoul.

Ulchi Freedom Shield nevertheless began on Monday as scheduled, according to South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff. Questions remain over precisely how the Pentagon will implement Trump’s instruction during the 10-day exercise.

Trump says exercises send the wrong message

Trump announced the intervention on Truth Social shortly before the drills were due to begin, saying there was no longer enough time to cancel them completely.

His criticism went beyond the financial cost.

“These exercises are not only costly… but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a Country that, as long as Donald J. Trump has been President, has been unthreatening and respectful,” Trump wrote according to Reuters.

Ulchi Freedom Shield is scheduled to continue until August 27 and involves approximately 18,000 South Korean military personnel.

Training planned for the exercise includes responses to drone operations, GPS disruption and cyberattacks, reflecting concerns over North Korea’s changing military capabilities.

South Korea’s military confirmed that training had begun but declined to comment on Trump’s remarks. Seoul’s presidential office and its defense and foreign ministries did not immediately respond during Monday’s public holiday.

Pentagon officials referred questions about the president’s announcement to the White House.

South Korea’s Iran stance enters dispute

Trump also connected the decision with an issue far removed from the Korean Peninsula: the conflict involving Iran.

According to the president, he recently asked South Korea whether it would participate in efforts targeting Iran’s nuclear capabilities.

“While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’” Trump wrote.

His remarks introduce another source of friction into an alliance that has previously faced disagreements over defense spending.

Roughly 28,500 American troops are stationed in South Korea, and Trump has repeatedly pressed Seoul over how much it contributes toward the cost of the US military presence.

Familiar dispute returns

Trump’s opposition to large-scale exercises on the Korean Peninsula dates back to his first presidency.

Previous complaints focused on their expense and what he regarded as their provocative nature toward Pyongyang. North Korea similarly describes such exercises as rehearsals for an invasion, a characterization rejected by Washington and Seoul.

Security concerns surrounding Pyongyang remain significant.

North Korea fired a ballistic missile toward the Sea of Japan last Wednesday, according to the South Korean and Japanese militaries. Another short-range ballistic missile had been launched six days earlier.

Lieutenant General Joseph Jarrard of US Northern Command also warned last week that North Korea had successfully tested intercontinental ballistic missiles with “enough boost to deliver a nuclear payload anywhere in North America.”

Kim relationship back in focus

Trump’s unusually warm language about North Korea has raised questions over whether his decision is intended partly to reopen diplomatic channels with Kim.

Jenny Town, head of the Stimson Center’s 38 North program, said that possibility could explain the move.

“This decision may be part of a larger effort to create a diplomatic opportunity with Pyongyang, as Trump has consistently wanted since coming back to office, although the haphazard nature of this move is unlikely to make much of an impression in Pyongyang,” Town said.

Relations between Trump and Kim have previously swung between confrontation and personal diplomacy.

Trump once threatened North Korea with “fire and fury” and mocked Kim as “little rocket man.” Kim responded by calling Trump a “mentally deranged U.S. dotard.”

Later, the pair held three summits, while Trump famously said that “we fell in love” following an exchange of letters.

Those meetings ultimately failed to produce an agreement that halted North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons or ballistic missiles.

Pentagon faces immediate practical question

How significantly the current exercise will change following Trump’s order remains unclear.

Ulchi Freedom Shield has increasingly relied on simulated scenarios rather than extensive live-fire operations, including computer-based exercises involving missile strikes and cyber warfare.

American military officials have also been watching lessons North Korean troops have gained from fighting alongside Russia in Ukraine, particularly involving drones, electronic warfare and cyber operations.

Trump’s intervention now requires military planners to determine which elements can be reduced after thousands of personnel had already prepared for an exercise that was scheduled to last through next week.

Ads by MGDK