Mother's Warning After Son's Harrowing Experience with Frozen Drink

Written by Henrik Rothen

Feb.03 - 2024 7:34 AM CET

Mother's Warning After Son's Harrowing Experience with Frozen Drink.

Trending Now

A Scottish mother's harrowing experience with her three-year-old son's severe reaction to a frozen raspberry-flavored drink has sparked an urgent warning to parents worldwide. Victoria Anderson, a mother of five from Glasgow, recounted the terrifying incident that occurred on January 4, when her son Angus fell unconscious for two hours after consuming a slushy for the first time.

"It was a nightmare I thought would end in tragedy," Anderson said according to New York Post, describing how she initially mistook her son's distress for a tantrum before realizing the grave reality of his condition.

During a family shopping trip, Anderson had bought the icy treat for Angus, yielding to his curiosity sparked by his siblings' enjoyment of the popular summer snack. However, shortly after sipping the red beverage, Angus began to moan in pain, leading to a sudden and alarming health crisis. "His eyes rolled back, and he was convulsing. He went limp," Anderson recalled, her voice filled with panic as she screamed for an ambulance, fearing the worst.

Paramedics quickly responded, discovering that Angus's blood sugar levels had plummeted dramatically. He was rushed to the Glasgow Children's Hospital, where he remained unconscious for about two hours.

"It was the scariest experience of my life," Anderson shared, relieved yet shocked that there had been no prior indication of such a health risk in their family.

The cause of Angus's condition was traced back to the slushy, which doctors identified as inducing glycerol toxicity. Glycerol, a sweet-tasting alcohol used as a food preservative or sweetener, is commonly found in chewing gum and beauty products.

However, at high exposure levels, glycerol intoxication can lead to shock, hypoglycemia, and loss of consciousness, as highlighted by a warning from the Scottish Food Standards Agency regarding its presence in slush-ice drinks and advising against their sale to children under four years of age.

Shocked by the revelation of the hidden danger in a seemingly harmless treat, Anderson has advocated for a ban on slushies or at least clear warnings for young children.

"I will never buy slushies again. You just don't know what's in these drinks," she stated, urging parents to be aware of the potential risks associated with such beverages. Anderson's ordeal serves as a crucial reminder of the importance of vigilance and informed choices when it comes to children's consumption.

Most Read